Cambridge Publishing Society

New CAMPUS book group starting!

Let's start a society book group. I thought it would be like any other book group except we would read books about publishing and books.

Clearly it should be enjoyable and relaxed - choice of venue would be important - a quiet pub centralish Cambridge would be good.

We don't have to be too ambitious - we could meet once a month, say, and read half a book at a time. 

Choice of books needn't be too heavy or technical. Books about XML or EPUB are a no-no. Alberto Manguel's books are largely about books, publishing, reading and writing, and are lovely to read. Sven Birkert's Gutenberg Elegies looks interesting, ditto David L. Ulin's Lost Art of Reading (160 pages). I would like to read Cambridge and Polity's own John Thompson's Merchants of Culture (Polity Press) at some time. It has had rave reviews from publishers - see the Amazon page for it. Sam Dumiak suggested a book about Steve Jobs. In fiction at some point I'd like to read George Gissing, New Grub Street, but I'm up for anything. I'm all in favour of variety - we could all take turns to choose the book we want. 

Doctors and architects have an obligatory programme of 'continuing professional development'. We in publishing don't, but we're lucky because we can get the triple whammy of an interesting book about the thing we do, wrapped up in the thing we make. I've been getting a lot of pleasure, energy and insight doing some strategic reading around my subject. E-mail me at david@therunninghead.com Even if you just leave a comment the site lets me know, and we can discuss here. Thanks!

I'd definitely be interested.  I'm already part of a book group at work (currently reading 'The Sisters Brothers' by Patrick deWitt) but would love to join a more publishing-orientated group.  Let me know where and when - I'll publicise to the other MA students too.

David, this is a brilliant idea, and would be great to get going! It might help shift some of the piles of unread books languishing around the house - I have started Just My Type by Simon Garfield, and am finding that full of wonderful anecdotes.  And there's the enticing Library: An Unquiet History, by Matthew Battles that keeps catching my eye in Heffers....and - and - and....!

Is there somewhere with a proper snug, deep armchairs, maybe a log fire....? 

Cambridge Publishing Society